Friday, January 1, 2016

Costa Rica, Part Three of Five: Ziplining/Addendum - Happy New Year!



Welcome to 2016! Continuing last year's series, I went ziplining in Costa Rica. (See CHBC Costa Rica for more details.)  We had to hike up part of a mountain with the maturing Dr. R------ (the person who took the above picture)  and his wife, Mrs. R-----, who the day before had narrowly missed breaking a bone falling down another hill.  Needless to say, it was a difficult hike for them.  We had time on the hike to stop in spots to wait for the others.  I took a picture of this ground-dwelling orchid/monocot with its unusual leaves.  I assume this is an orchid, but I have no idea.  I saw it in several areas, including the dark stream valley below camp.  If anyone has any knowledge of this plant's identity, please, please, please let me know.  It's one of those little things that bothers me every so often.


We had a very fun time ziplining.  I am not a person whom enjoys extreme sports, and thankfully,  sliding down a thin cable over a hundred feet above the ground is not nearly as extreme as it sounds. There were thirteen stages, spread throughout the mountain's slope.  I had to leave my camera in my bag for most of the time, however, so I did not photograph much.  A tiny, unidentified lizard was one of the discoveries I made hiking between  I discovered a new species of nettle whilst reaching to examine a millipede.  The discovery was quite a sudden surprise, and I remembered it the rest of the day whenever I brushed that part of my arm against walls and such.   There is a reason they are called stinging nettles...


(Above photo credit Dr. R------)  I was not fond of one particular section.  I was lowered from what was essentially  a chain metal fence stuck sideways on a tree down a hundred feet into a canyon.  It was just as scary as it sounds. You can see the platform in the above picture, and if you look carefully just below the center of the picture, you can see the rope.  At the bottom of the canyon were a large number of mosquitoes as well as a small creek with a cascade about fifteen feet high.


That was roughly the end of ziplining, and we went on to La Paz Waterfall Gardens, which I have decided to write about as the grand finale, because it was so beautiful.  Thus, next post will be about Lankaster Botanical Gardens.   However, before I wrap this up, I have decided to add an addendum, aka explain what Mimosa pudica, Sciurus variegatoides, and Pitangus sulphuratus are, if you haven't looked them up (and I know you haven't, because no one ever does...)  Additionally, I saw a neat moth  the night before we left Costa Rica, and I have no place to put it.  So here it is.


This insect remarkably imitated a bath in both size and wing shape.  It is the second largest moth I have ever seen, and the largest I have ever photographed (I saw a luna moth, Actias luna, in Chattanooga, Tennessee, that was possibly larger, but as I was six at the time, I did not have a camera.)  If anyone has any clue as to what species this moth is, please let me know.  It reminds me of a poplar hawk moth (Laothoe populi), and it could be in the same genus or family.

On to Mimosa pudica, the sensitive plant.  This is a tropical weed, found as far north as Georgia,  Indeed, I have a picture of one, taken in the Line Creek area of Peachtree City, Georgia, discussed in several previous blog posts.


The notable feature of the sensitive plant is that its foliage folds up when touched, hence the name.  In Costa Rica, these are referred to as sleeping plants for the same reason.  The foliage folds up at night and when touched, unfolding in roughly an hour.  I received seeds of this plant for Christmas, and I look forward to growing it.  (UPDATE- They never sprouted.)


Variegated squirrels, Sciurus variegatoides, were also seen in Costa Rica.  These are the most colorful squirrels I have ever seen.  Other than the colors, these are essentially just squirrels.

While there were occasionally parrots and once a toucan, as well as many swallows, the most notable bird was the Great Kiskadee Flycatcher, Pitangus sulphuratus, ranging as far north as central Texas and found everywhere in Costa Rica.  These are large noisy birds the size of a blue jay that flew around and caught insects everywhere.  I had no idea what they were at the time.  These are relatives of our local flycatcher species, albeit far more colorful.

That's all for now.  Happy New Year!  I hope 2016 will be an excellent year for nature, and by corollary, nature bloggers.  As a tease of the next blog post, Lankaster Gardens, this plant is one that you should recognize from your kitchen: 



No comments:

Post a Comment