Sunday, February 14, 2016

Over 1000 views! Thank the Russians! Also, Planned Expeditions. (AKA What to Expect)

I made it to a thousand pageviews!  Hooray!

In case you're wondering about the Russians...  while the vast majority of readers have come from the United States,  there is a statistics part of Blogger that tracks the IP of each visitor and tells me where they are from, although all I see is the home country.  As a result, I have seen that people from as far away as Germany and Taiwan are reading my blog.  I'm not sure why, but I have had what Google records as thirty-four page views from Russia.  I'm assuming Putin is using my blog to scout out Central Illinois.  Trust me, Mr. Putin, you'd be much better off using someone else's blog.  How about my brother's diecast car blog, linked here: https://kinja.com/dtg11

Jokes aside,  I have plans for this spring.  I'm not going to reveal them all, but trust me when I say the recent influx of bird-related posts is not going to end anytime soon. In addition, there will be a LOT going on this spring and summer.  If you don't remember an article I wrote last year,  I have several goals for this year, and despite several recent obstacles which I will not go into detail about here,  I will get at least a few of these goals done.  I will see orchids in  Illinois this year, and you may sense that orchid-hunting is a pattern as you read on.




Starved Rock- early March-  I'm going to check back on the ?hemlocks? I saw there and make sure my identification is correct and check for saplings.  The area above is an excellent representation of why I would visit Starved Rock every day if I could.

Carpenter Park- late March to late April - Old-growth forest with possibly showy orchids (Galearis spectabilis) and/or putty-root orchid (Aplectrum hyemale).  Also, despite living fairly close by to this preserve, I have never been there.

Beaver Dam,  Denby Prairie- April-May-  Prairie relict containing prairie trout-lily (Erythronium mesochoreum), one of the three Erythronium species known to live in Illinois and the only one I haven't seen.  Beaver Dam State Park is an excellent woodland in the nearby area to make a day out of it, especially in the spring when the area's large frog population is active.

Loda Cemetary Prairie, Middle Fork Woods-  June-  Eastern Prairie White-Fringed Orchid (Platanthera leucophaea) grows in this small prairie relict, and this is a must-see species, only growing in about sixty locations in the world, several of which are in Illinois.  Middle Fork Woods is a nearby preserve along Illinois' only Natural Scenic River.  The (south-flowing) Vermilion River, which flows into the Wabash River, is one of the most scenic rivers in Illinois, far more so than most rivers in this region. (There are two Vermilion Rivers in Illinois, one flowing south into the Wabash and one north into the Illinois River near Starved Rock State Park.  They are both well-preserved and worth visiting.  The south-flowing one is the better Vermilion River, however.)  The eastern edge of Illinois is one of the most biodiverse areas in the state.



Matanzas Prairie, Long Branch Sand Prairie, Scrub Oak- Sand Prairie, Revis Hill Prairie- June to July-  This is a tour through the southern Mason county prairie preserves, likely sometime this summer. Mazanatas has an unknown species of threatened wet prairie orchid according to IDNR's website.  Long Branch has rare six-lined racerunner lizards, as well as several plant species I have not seen before.  Scrub Oak-Sand Prairie is the single best butterfly area in Illinois according to most sources.   Revis Hill Prairie is the largest hill prairie complex  in Illinois.  Mason County is a sandy area  that was not suitable for intensive farming (unlike the rest of central Illinois) until modern times, so its natural areas have survived surprisingly well.  The area above is in Sand Ridge State Forest, a large preserve in the north of  Mason County, and I may end up there at some point.

This is what I have planned for this year.  It should complete year list goats #2, #4, and #6,  #3 is likely, and #1 would be a dream come true, and might still be possible.

Also, check out this article.

  https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150908/hegewisch/want-become-plant-nerd-famous-find-elusive-thismia-americana

If this plant was rediscovered anytime soon,  I would probably leap through the roof.





2 comments:

  1. #1 done and sucessful. #3 then done, unsuccessful in finding even the preserve, thus no post about it. #2 done, no orchids seen, return trip planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 partially done, no orchids. #5 done in May, great trip.

    ReplyDelete