Sunday, February 21, 2016

How To Be Suspected Of Terrorism - Lake Springfield Birding

The last few days of birding have been rather exciting.  As usual,  I visited Lake Springfield in the incredibly warm weather we have had lately.  Midwestern weather in late winter is consistently unpredictable, so I expect to stop wearing short-sleeve shirts within a few days.  However, while it is so lovely outside, why not go birding?  It's not like I'd be questioned by the police or something like that.


Ruddy Ducks (Oxyura jamaicensis) are common lake migrants, who enjoy staying as far away from the shore as possible.  This, combined with their tendency to dive out of sight underwater, makes them excellent candidates for most annoying photography subject of the month.


On the list for most annoying animal of all time is the Canada Goose  (Branta canadensis), or Canadian Goose as most people in this area seem to call it.  Still, they pose for photos far better than Ruddy Ducks.  That's probably how Ruddy Ducks got their name.  Someone, trying to photograph them, yelled in frustration,  "You ruddy duck!"  I assume they were British.  

 Ring-billed Gulls (Larus delawarensis) are another annoying species, but I prefer them over Canadian Geese.  At least the Ring-billed Gulls don't generally attack people.  On Marina Point,  dozens can be found.


I visited Tom Madonia Park, a local park on the north edge of the lake near the power plant. Someone at this busy park had left bread in the water, and the gulls were diving to get it.  It made for some excellent picture opportunities.

Also at Tom Madonia Park were two members of the Conservation Police.  One of them called me over to talk.  Evidently, since I had been taking pictures with a very nice camera, well-equipped with a zoom lens, and several of my gull pictures had been in the direction of the power plant, they were required to check the pictures I had taken. Every significant infrastructure in major cities nowadays has to be careful of terrorists, so I understand why.  A terrorist could take several pictures of the power plant in preparation for a future attack, and seeing a college student with a fancy camera is  suspicious on principle.

However, there is a twist to this tale.  Evidently, my brother had also taken a picture of my mother sticking her tongue out earlier in the day (a picture which will remain private  and offline forever)  So, as I showed the officer some of the many pictures of everything BUT the boring, artificial power plant, I showed him that picture on accident, seeing it for the first time.  It was a good laugh, and I appreciate that the officers took the time to do their job.  He actually complemented me on my pictures, and told me I could have a good career in photography.  While I doubt that, it goes to show how amicable the officer was. I'm glad to have these officers doing their jobs.  It makes me feel safer.


Getting back to the birds, several Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos) also posed for pictures as well.  While common, Mallards are still quite attractive birds, much like robins in this way.


Rarer birds proliferated at Center Park, including the Common Mergansers
(Mergus merganser) in the middle of the picture.  I assumed that the males and females of this species were different species when I first spotted them. The ducks in center above are male.  Below is a female.


Nothing between the tail and the beak looks the same when it comes to the male and the female Common Merganser.  About a hundred or so of these birds were present in the bay north of Center Park.

  Common Goldeneyes (Bucephala clangula) were found alongside the mergansers, and easily distinguished by their smaller size.

 A small flock of goldeneyes soon took to the air, flying out west towards deeper water.


While the mergansers and goldeneyes were a treat.  the best find of the week was off Marina Point.  I had about given up on the area, and was briefly taking pictures of the gulls and Canadian Geese prsent, when I spotted a small duck in a nearby bay.


A male bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) appeared rather suddenly among the geese.  This is probably my favorite duck.  Sadly, the bufflehead didn't like me quite so much and decided to fly away.


I wonder whether any waterfowl have ever been detained for terrorism or any other offences?  I would arrest all Canadian geese on sight for pubic disturbance and littering.  More to the point, has anyone who reads this blog and is a birder ever had an interesting encounter with the police while birding?   Please let me know in the comments below.  I daresay this weekend was one of the more interesting times of my life while birding, even if none of the birds were particularly rare.  I wish you all a happy morning/evening/ Taco Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. So the power plant is your target.... hmmmmm. Jk jk. I am very fond of the picture of the Mallard though. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime my dear birdwatcher speculated terrorist brother. P.S. I am never letting this go.

      Delete