Monday, June 20, 2016

The Great Black-bellied Whistling Duck Search Continued...


I mentioned in my last post how I went looking for Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, recently reported from the pond behind Farm and Home.  It was a good trip, albeit not successful at the time. What I forgot to mention was the fact that I did find two less-than-common animals in the same area.  Yes, I know, Muskrats (Ondatra zibethicus) are everywhere.  Still, I've rarely seen them in the wild, and never gotten a good photo, until... You've already seen it, above.

If you think you may have seen this bird on the blog before, you are correct.  Last winter, I saw thousands of Ruddy Ducks (Oxyura jamaicensis).  Ruddy Ducks are not rare in Illinois... in the winter.  In the summer, however, they are uncommon in Illinois, especially by themselves.  I may have missed the prize species... (or did I?) but at least I found this to make up for it.


Also, I found the rattiest looking Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) of my entire life.  I feel sorry for this bird.

While writing this post, I decided to double-check and see if the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks were still in the area.  One was reported the day before, Father's Day.  So, I stopped writing immediately and drove over.  After nearly being attacked by a local Canada Goose, I wandered about for a bit.  I spotted this Wood Duck, a much nicer one, also feeding.


There was also a cute family of ducklings:


Furthermore, there was a Green Heron, doing its best to hide.  It did a good job, as I thought it was just a Wood Duck or something until I spotted the bill:


Oh, and I might have found this bird...


This is only, what, one of the rarest birds in central Illinois?  Yes, yes it is.



 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks (Dendrocygna autumnalis), which do actually whistle, are very, very rare.  They've been reported from the west side of Springfield erratically for a few years, and once or twice from the Chautauqua-Emiquon wetland complex on the Illinois River.  Still, this is the first one I've seen in the United States.


Here, you can see this bird as compared with a Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos).  Whistling Ducks are thinner, but with longer legs, while Mallards are fatter and shorter.  I have several more pictures, but overall, this is enough.   If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  Prayers also work, however. Anyway, this is shaping up to be a fine first week of summer, and I look forward to a couple trips currently in the works.

I have no idea how to end this, and it's late enough that I don't intend to make a serious effort.

Good night?

No comments:

Post a Comment