Monday, May 9, 2016

"Sorry, I Was Lost In A Swamp."



You may have seen a lot of Lick Creek Wildlife Area lately.  It has become one of my favorite places to visit, however, so that is quite understandable.  I keep finding new plants and animals every visit.  At some point I need to write a review page of it, but as I have never actually explored the entire area, a review page would require a more through investigation, like taking an entire day to visit it.

Recently, I was contacted by a person from eBird for the Common Gallinule sighting back in March.  Evidently, that is the sole record for March from any year in Illinois. It is also the first record from Sangamon County.  Now, as there is no picture and  I was the only witness, the claim remains unsubstantiated, so if you google the eBird database the record does not show up.  Still, it's fascinating to know that I saw such a rare bird.  The birds sounded like the fourth clip available at this link: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Gallinule/sounds .  Anyway, moving on.

Initially, I believed this species to be duckweed, but now I have no idea what it is.  It resembles an Azolla aquatic fern to some extent, but I just call it "Pond Corn" as it resembles green kernels of corn to my mind.  As usual, if anyone knows what it is, let me know.  I haven't found it online.

Nearby grew a Yellow Ragwort (Packera sp.) a very common wetland flower, to the point that this species is something of a weed in waterlogged areas.  An Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) flew above me at this point. I was a bit surprised by this, as Eastern Bluebirds are not typically seen in woodland/marsh areas.  However, the woodpecker holes above my head, in the dead trees on the edge of the marsh, are ideal for this species to nest in.  Similarly, House Wrens (Troglodytes aedon), another cavity-nester, were present.  One stopped to sing a bit on top of a dead tree stump:


It was actively raining at this point.  As usual, the Swamp Sparrows (Melospiza georgiana) were out, though they tried to hide from me:

Soon, the rain slowed, and I proceeded over to another pocket of marshland.

Now, here's what's below me as I'm taking this picture.  I'm walking through a foot of water:


I eventually made my way over to Lick Creek itself...


... where I discovered the remains of a fishing camp on the bank.  I should probably report this to CWLP, the owners of  Lake Springfield and the preserve at its headwaters where I'm hiking.


Nearby, I found a Leopard Frog (Rana sp.), which I don't believe I have seen before.  It resembles the Plains Leopard Frog to some extent.  I set out this year to see two new snake species, but as it is I have seen one new snake species and two or three new frog species.


 Ragworts, meanwhile, lightened the edge of another marsh:


I found a second frog of the same species as before.  I assume that this is the current breeding species. Chorus Frogs have vanished, and Cricket Frogs are far less common than before.  Leopard Frogs must be the current species breeding in this area.

In the middle of this marsh, a mud-bottomed ditch some half a foot deeper than the surrounding marshland provided a gap for some Ragworts to flower.  I have no idea why such a thing exists in the middle of this marsh, nearly bisecting it down the middle, but it does.


I found a large snail under a sheet of bark.


At this point I began to proceed back, but could not find my way easily.  I knew the general direction, but with the clouds overhead, I had lost a definite angle of the sun.  I knew the sun was in the west, and so was the trail, so I kept in that direction.

On my way, I found yet another frog, likely the same species (Rana sp.) as the first two.  This one had fine markings.  As you can see by the maple seed (helicopter) next to the frog, this is not a large species of frog. All of the frogs were about this size.  Can anyone identify this frog?


Speaking of which, can anyone identify this butterfly?  It resembles a Pearl Crescent, a common fall butterfly in this part of the world.  I do not know if Pearl Crescents are found in the spring, but I am curious as to what species this butterfly may be.  It was easily the most colorful animal I saw.


Back in the woods near the trail, standing pools of water attracted a Waterthrush:


This Northern/ Louisiana Waterthrush was one of two I saw.  I could not definitely identify either specimen, but I believe this may have been a Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis).


I found this strange looking fungus growing on a branch just as I got on the trail.  At this point, I was fast-walking to my car, as I needed to be at a nearby church very soon.  However, I still took photos of many of the plants I came across:

The area's large populations of Ramps (Allium tricoccum) are a bit different from the standard species.  Traditionally, Ramps has reddish leaf petioles (aka, the stem at the bottom of the leaf.)  However, none of this population does.  As a result, I believe this is Narrow-leafed Wild Leek, (Allium tricoccum var. burdickii, syn Allium burdickii) a much rarer species in Illinois.  The narrower, more pointed leaves resemble the rarer variety, as do the leaf petioles. As a result, I believe that this is a rarer species/variety.  It amazes me that I can find a rare onion, but still strike out every time with orchids in this state, save once.


On my way out, I spotted sporangia (reproductive structures) on the Rattlesnake Ferns (Botrypus virginianus).  At this point, I was several minutes away, and I ran off to go.


Once at the church, I waited about outside for a bit.  I heard a Meadowlark nearby, and rushed back to my car for the camera.  I could not find it, but I spotted this Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) and took a picture, which is one of the best bird pictures I have ever taken.  At any rate, I've been posting less, but that will be changing... back to our regular, twice weekly nonsense.  Sometime this
summer I may try to do a week of hiking and upload one post a day, but we shall see. Life has a tendency to throw immense curveballs. To quote James 4:13-14,

13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.


This is certainly true. The very month I planned all those expeditions, back in January, quite possibly the largest calamity to strike my family hit. It is winding down now, and it has been a definite character building experience for our entire family As for character-building experiences, see Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes cartoon below:



So, in summary, who's to say what will happen? Anyway, before I get too much more philosophical, have a good night, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jared. I imagine you could spend a lifetime exploring Lick Creek Wildlife Area and still not discover all there is to see. I have a much smaller property and after 30 years of exploring, am still making new discoveries.

    The frog is a Leopard Frog and appears to be a young specimen. Leopard Frog coloration and spotting is highly variable, so you are liable to see several different versions of the same species.

    The Butterfly is a Pearl Crescent. Pearl Crescents typically emerge in mid-April and go through three or four broods each year.

    ReplyDelete